Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Health Care Legislation Peer Review

Hello Bloggers! As you know I'm an advocate for learning as much as possible about the work being done to reform our current broken health care system. The first full piece of draft legislation has now been released by the House of Representatives. The House effort was led by my my favorite politician on Capitol Hill, Congressman Henry Waxman, who also happens to be my congressman. The man is awesome!

Anyway, I recommend that we all take a look at it. There is a helpful table of contents that makes it relatively easy to look up the part of the legislation that may concern you the most. I'm doing the same thing, and will let you know if I find anything to worry about. I think it's important for us all to do as much as possible to help support this reform initiative, including giving our own feedback to our elected officials. Once the process is over it will be too late, so I suggest we all do our part now.

I do like the bill's summary: "In general, the purpose of this [bill] is to provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending."

That, in my opinion, is a great goal. To view the legislation, I recommend using the PDF version from the Huffington Post.

Wednesday's Political Rave - Michael

PS - Regarding the cost, for those Republicans and "conservative" Democrats who want to focus only on it, you should know that if the Congressional Budget Office were to factor in all future savings this legislation would be budget neutral.

3 comments:

Conrad Strong said...

Michael thanks for the link. I plan to read through the legislation tonight or tomorrow. You're right, now is the time to become informed and time to act.

LeftyLadi said...

"In general, the purpose of this [bill] is to provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending."

And the problem with this is....what? Can republicans be any less clear about what it is they object to? Their love of insurance companies comes through loud and clear.

Conrad Strong said...

Thanks for the link Michael. I'll spend some time reading the legislation. I left a long comment earlier but it must be lost somewhere in the blogosphere.