Friday, September 12, 2008

Lifestyle News: Researchers Push Hogwarts-like Cirriculum in the UK

Hello Bloggers - Being a Harry Potter fan I thought I should post a very interesting - if quirky - article I spotted on London's Daily Mail today, which discusses a study calling for muggle-like magic tricks - sorry, not very Hogwarts, I know - to be included in their national curriculum. Now I hate to jump the gun, but this idea seems pretty cool to me. I would love to teach kids how to disappear on airplanes - just kidding, I love kids.

Excerpts from: And after maths, we have magic tricks! Harry Potter-style lessons 'boost children's confidence'

"...children should be taught magic tricks in schools to boost their confidence and self-discipline, researchers say. A study found that an hour lesson at a 'magic school' did more good for a group of 10 to 12-year-olds than their normal 'life skills' classes. ... 'Learning magic requires self-discipline, an understanding of how other people think and an ability to entertain... unlike playing computer games, it encourages children to interact with their friends and family."

It sounds a little experimental, but interesting. Boredom was my biggest enemy in school, so maybe it could help in that area. I say good luck! Perhaps next they can experiment with quills and quidditch before moving up to confundus charms.

Friday's Lifestyle News #1 - Michael

No comments: