Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Political Rant: Bush's Disintegrating Presidency and Final Legacy Becoming Clear

Good Morning Bloggers - It's a busy day so I'll focus on what intrigues me this morning: George Bush as the most incompetent man ever elected president. Thank you so much Republicans! It still amazes me that 30% of Americans still like the idiot.

My theory is that those 30% must be comprised of the "George Costanza-fearful-types" who would do anything to keep the fighting over there - it's an extreme example of "not in my backyard" when you think about it. I'm sorry, but we're talking about people who simply ignore massive death and destruction - proven collateral damage worldwide - being conducted in their names, and who choose to take no responsibility - they just ignore it or say that's it's the "only way." They even choose to vote for more with McCain and Palin. I'm sorry, but I think that qualifies as people who are scared and in serious denial.

Anyway, I digress. I was moved to write this post after visiting my favorite morning website http://www.bbcnews.com/, where I was struck by the headline, North Korea Nuclear Seals Removed. In my opinion North Korea sums up a lot of the incompetence and disintegration of the Bush Administration. The Bush-North Korea relationship reads like a common thread spun throughout the Bush Administration: shoot from the hip, spew uninformed bravado and bluster, squirm in a stalemate, ask friends to help negotiate a solution, screw them by not delivering, and finally assume that history will vindicate you. I think Bush and his fans simply hope nobody noticed.

Anyway, I digressed again. MSNBC's Rachel Maddow is a very smart lady. I love her radio show and now I love her television show thanks to MSNBC. She prides herself on being a bit of an historian - her hobby is the history and excellence of cocktails, something I can relate to - so I loved how on Monday she - along with other authorities - discussed how George W. Bush will find a place in the presidential failure hall of fame alongside Herbert Hoover and Warren G. Harding.

"Barring yet another disaster of unimaginable scale, we now know that the presidency of George W. Bush will be defined by massive, country-changing failures," stated Maddow . She went on to cite 9/11, the "mendacious launch of the Iraq War," the drowning of New Orleans, and now an economic meltdown in which "we're borrowing $700 billion dollars, probably mostly from China, to stem off utter collapse."

Maddow was joined by Thomas Frank, author of The Wrecking Crew: How Conservatives Rule, who told her, "These things are connected, with the exception of 9/11...it's judgment day for the conservative philosophy of governing," Frank asserted. He pointed out that Bush isn't personally responsible for the housing bubble, "but conservatism is, with its idea of 'let the markets do what they want, the markets will always find equilibrium, the markets can self-regulate." In the end, Bush mostly failed to regulate or enforce - he basically abdicated his responsibilities.

Frank blamed not only the current economic problems but also the missteps with Iraq and New Orleans on Bush's philosophy of privatization and outsourcing. "This is a problem of letting people run government when they believe that government can't work and ought not work." What I wonder is whether or not Democrats are going to get off the Reaganeseque conservative trip they've been on since Clinton and stop following the Republicans down into their own dark places. I personally feel we need to dump the Clinton legacy too. Btw, I would like to credit Raw Story as a source for most of Rachel's quotes.

So, that's pretty much it. We're beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel, and the presidency of George - the screw-up - Bush is looking dim and grim with each passing day. With news that the war in Afghanistan isn't going well (see my post), it would appear that his legacy will be: stalemate, economic disintegration, war, torture, broken agreements, broken or stretched laws, ease-dropping, disregarding habeas corpus, disregarding posi comitatus, lies, conspiracies, cover-ups, war-profiteering, murder, fear-mongering, kidnapping, rendition, worldwide corruption, and the LARGEST BAILOUT IN WORLD HISTORY - to name just a few already investigated by legitimate sources worldwide.

Btw, one thing I've found about most Republicans I talk to - they never admit they were wrong or take responsibility for any damage done. Many say they didn't even vote for Bush! Prove me wrong people!

To my Republican friends, all I can say is that I hope you're not happy with past results. Get a clue people! Stop with the denial and help us THROW THE BUMS OUT!

Wednesday's Political Rant #1 - Michael

No comments: